If you don’t love pasta, you’re crazy. There I said it. Now, if you’re like me, you love pasta but hate the guilt that comes with indulging in a bowl of carbs. Here is the answer to your prayers. This simple spaghetti squash with meat sauce brings classic flavors without the regret. It’s my go-to dish when I’m craving comfort food but still want to keep it healthy. An easy recipe, with minimal ingredients. Two factors that equal a perfect meal in my books.
Maybe it’s just me but pasta with meat sauce is a classic recipe that you can never go wrong with. Plus this recipe is a great base to add to or switch things up. From adding mushrooms to extra red pepper for additional kick, you honestly can’t go wrong. You can easily cut down the sauce portion or go for a smaller squash to minimize leftovers. For two people, it does make quite a lot. We love leftovers, and by we I mean I love taking them for my lunches.
I’ll warn you, if you’ve never had spaghetti squash, don’t go into it thinking it’s going to taste like pasta. It won’t. But, it is an awesome alternative that is just about as close as you’re going to get. Even Graham likes it, and he’s the biggest foodie I know. Take it from us, you’ve got to try it.
1 spaghetti squash
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper
1-1.5 lbs ground turkey
1 medium onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
28 oz diced tomatoes
8 oz tomato sauce
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
½-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cut spaghetti squash in half, longways, and scoop out the seeds.
3. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place spaghetti squash (inside facing down) on a baking sheet. Cook for 35-45 minutes or until soft.
4. While the squash is cooking, brown the ground turkey, onion, and garlic. Drain if necessary.
5. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and seasonings to the pan.
6. Simmer for up to an hour.
7. Once the spaghetti squash is finished, remove and let cool enough to shred with a fork.
8. Combine squash with meat sauce and optional shredded cheese and enjoy!